- What is Adaptations?
- Who is in the Adaptations community?
- What types of programming does Adaptations provide?
- How do I join the program?
- Can I try out Adaptations programs before my discovery call?
- Are there fees for programs and do you offer scholarships?
- I live outside of NYC. Can I still join Adaptations?
What is Adaptations?
Adaptations is a dynamic, supportive, social community for adults at the Jack and Shirley Silver Center for Special Needs (CSN) at the Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan. Through structured social/recreational and employment programs, Adaptations provides multiple pathways to fostering independence, finding your passion, and experiencing the richness of community. Adaptations is not a clinical or therapeutic program.
Who is in the Adaptations community?
Adaptations is a community of adults with a high level of independence looking to learn, grow, and deepen connections with one another. Adaptations members are:
- Adults over the age of 22
- Comfortable in a 12:1 member to staff ratio
- Able to travel independently throughout the city
- Have a support system in place such as family, friends, or therapists
- Able to maintain a respectful and safe environment for others
- Excited to meet new people and try new activities
What types of programming does Adaptations provide?
Below is just a sampling of all of the programs Adaptations has to offer. In your discovery call, we will review our monthly calendar with you. To browse the current season's offerings, click here.
- Social Programming: board game lounge, dine outs, karaoke, speed friending, etc.
- Support + Skills: men's/women's/neuroqueer/couples' Groups, Relationships + Sexuality, advocacy group, etc.
- Arts + Culture: art classes, improv, comic book club, museum trips, and Broadway outings
- Fitness: circuit training and holistic warriors
- Job Support: social skills in the workplace, working professional dine outs
- Special Events: holiday parties and programming, community service events, annual events such as prom, Disability Pride Parade, and more
How do I join the program?
Step 1: Please reach out to Adaptations director Michelle Wexler at email@example.com to complete our online questionnaire.
Step 2: Following completion, Adaptations will reach out to schedule a virtual discovery call. The discovery call is an opportunity to learn more about you, your goals, and to share more about Adaptations. If during the course of the discovery call, you or Adaptations feel like our community isn't the ideal match, we will email you referrals for alternate programming and/or support.
Can I try out Adaptations programs before my discovery call?
You must complete a discovery call prior to registering or attending Adaptations programming. Following your discovery call, you are welcome to trial a program.
Are there fees for programs and do you offer scholarships?
There are fees associated with Adaptations programs, generally $10-$25 each. We never want money to be a barrier to programs and we offer scholarships on an as-needed basis. No JCC or Adaptations membership fees are necessary to join.
I live outside of NYC. Can I still join Adaptations?
Yes! We have participants who travel to us from near and far—New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, and other locations.